Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
1/3 cup whole milk
1/3 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
6 bacon slices, chopped
½ cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded canned chipotles in adobo sauce
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons water
1 ¼ pounds of ground beef
1 large egg, lightly beaten
¼ chopped cilantro
Lime wedges (for garnish)
About 16 (6 inch) wooden skewers, soaked in water
1. In a large bowl, stir together milk and bread crumbs.
2. Cook bacon in a 10 inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Transfer with a slotted spoon, to paper towels to drain.
3. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet, then cook onion, garlic, chipotles and cumin in skillet, stirring until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add water and cook, stirring and scraping up brown bits until water has evaporated, about 1 minute. Stir into bread crumb mixture, then add ground beef, egg, cilantro, bacon, and 1 teaspoon salt and mix well with your hands.
4. Preheat broiler.
5. Form scant tablespoons of meat mixture into balls and thread 3 balls ½ inch apart onto each skewer, arranging skewers on a lightly oiled broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat (do not turn) until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Remove skewers from broiler pan, and place in single layer on serving dish. Squeeze fresh lime on meatballs, for added flavor.