MAPLE BOURBON BRAISED SHORT RIBS
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
3 pounds beef short ribs
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
¾ cup bourbon
½ cup maple syrup
2 ½ cups beef or vegetable broth
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper
Directions for the Short Ribs
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Pat the short ribs dry and season them generously with salt and pepper. In a 5 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil. Working in batches, add the short ribs and sear until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and let the Dutch oven cool ever so slightly. Leave all oil and pan drippings from searing ribs, in the Dutch oven. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the bourbon and maple syrup and cook until reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the broth, rosemary, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce. Nestle the short ribs in the sauce. The ribs should be almost completely covered with liquid; if necessary, add a little more broth or water (about ½ cup) to cover the ribs.
4. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Cover, transfer to the oven, and cook, stirring every 45 minutes, until the ribs are very tender, 2 to 3 hours. Transfer the ribs to a serving platter and cover loosely with aluminum foil and let them rest for at least 10 minutes.
Directions for the Glaze
1. In a small saucepan over high heat, combine the maple syrup and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, until reduced to a thick glaze, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Uncover the ribs. There may be some congealed fat on top of the ribs, which can be scooped off before serving. Place ribs on plates, drizzle glaze over ribs, and serve.